cross-linguistic metaphors (fwd)

Jill Greer greer-j at MSSU.EDU
Wed Feb 23 16:25:46 UTC 2011

Thanks, Brian - I'm fine, and you are well versed in diverse fields, as
always! We could go even further than the cog-sci folks, and posit that
there is a universal human fear of the dark from when dangers and demons
went bump in the night, and a universal gravitation toward (sun)light,
for life itself, excluding those nocturnal critters, of course :) !

>>> Bryan James Gordon 02/23/11 12:35 AM >>>
Wow this is an engaging thread! I miss when we had more of these.
Hi Jill, how are you? I think, unfortunately, a native speaker could
only help us to reject, not to confirm, the hypothesis, because of
course you're right, if she or he did confirm that it's the colour term
ska being used, we would not be able to rule out English influence.
Universal metaphors have attracted some research lately in cognitive
science, where they go under names like spreading activation and
stereotypic processing. For a while this very question of
whiteness/clearness-as-good/skillful/safe, darkness-as-bad, was getting
referenced in cog-sci colloquia every other week. Ugh. There are some
metaphors that have indeed proved robust cross-culturally in labs
(inasmuch as labs can be cross-cultural!) - things that are generic like
horoscopes - things like high-pitch-as-piercing/whining/uppity. I'm
guessing most universal metaphors are this trivial or more so. The only
truly inescapable metaphor is the linguistic expression as a metaphor
for its referent.

One thing that makes me skeptical of the clarity-metaphor's necessity is
that many languages, including Umoⁿhoⁿ and Baxoje, have a word for
"clear" that is not ska, but rather the other common Siouan word for
white, sóⁿ [są] (U) / tháⁿ [θą] (B).

But the arguments Bob, Rory and others have made in favour of the
metaphor are also quite compelling.

It's hard to decide.