cross-linguistic metaphors (fwd)

Dan Folkus dan.folkus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 03:14:11 UTC 2011

My speculation is that your question may almost be answerable in
English, David. I'm wondering if the (archaic) English word for dusk,
"gloam" (twilight) http://www.myfavoriteword.com/2008/01/01/gloam/
might have a philological relationship to the word "glum?" Which is
the opposite of bright in the sense of daylight. But I'm not sure if
it also might mean the opposite of bright in the sense you mean (as in
'she said brightly,' for example, instead of 'she said glumly'). Glum
people are somewhat dull, right? So does gloam and glum come out of
the same origin? This blog at least speculates on the
word...http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2885/, saying it refers
to "persons: Sullen, frowning; having an air of dejection or
displeasure", or "Of things: Gloomy, dark; dismal". So I'm saying at
least there are these two senses of gloam, which MAY apply to your
question.