English grammar innovation? New reflexive pronouns?

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 13 18:59:46 UTC 2011

Both 'themself' and 'theirselves' have been around a while. I first
noticed 'themself' in the '80s and might even use it myself.
'Themself' presumably arose as a result of the use of 'they' as a
gender-neutral 3rd person singular pronoun. Also note that 'themself'
gets 1.7 million Google hits.

It's discussed some here: http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004285.html

Dave Costa