cross-linguistic metaphors (fwd)

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Feb 24 05:49:29 UTC 2011

David wrote:
> Jimm, let's be very cautious about linguistic details here.  At least in

> Lakota, and I assume for the other languages as well, ska 'white' is a
> very different word from s^kaN.  ...

As Bryan indicated, he and I are responsible for the confusion here, and
Jimm was cautioning us in the same vein as David.  I think we are all
agreed that ska 'white' and s^kaN 'movement' are very different words.
Bryan and I were discussing the question of whether what seems to be -ska
in some less well-understood compounds could in fact be a misunderstanding
of some other morpheme, possibly related to s^kaN.

Part of the confusion may be due to our lazy habit of including the entire
preceding conversation in our replies.  In this thread, I've seen a
paragraph I wrote commented on by Bryan, whose message was then replied to
by another poster whose system removed Bryan's formatting and made my
paragraph that he was replying to appear to be a part of his message,
which then agglutinated with many more.  When John Koontz was active, he
used to scold us frequently for this practice.  It uses up server space
unnecessarily, and it puts the same text into the Siouan Archives again
and again and again for word searches to pull up equally many times.  In
posting, we should all try to pull out only the quotes we are actually
replying to, and remove the rest.  (I sometimes forget to do this too.)

Cheers,
Rory