Sioux Name

Scott Collins saponi360 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 08:05:05 UTC 2011

"Sioux is transparently a derivation of the same Algonkian root Nadouek. Swanton reports that Sioux is an abbreviation of Nadouessioux, which appears to be a French corruption of Nadowe-is-iw, which the French picked up from the Chippewa, signifying “Adders” and, by extension, “enemies.” (5)
(5) John R. Swanton, The Indian Tribes of North America (Washington, D.C.:Smithsonian Institution Press, 1968), 280-281.

The above from Dr. Heriberto Airy Dixon, pg. 66 of the American Indian Culture and Research Journal, “A Saponi by Any Other Name Is Still a Siouan”

Is it possible that Nahyssan is some how connected to the above mentioned words?

I had mentioned before that my Great Grandmother had a bedtime prayer in which she said neda wa ha. It was suggested that it may mean enemy. I am starting to wonder if the term is actually of Siouan derivation that was picked up by the Algonquins at an early date, is that possible?

Is a variant form of Nahyssan/Nahyssn possibly Niasont or Honiasont.
Is it possible that the the entire Sioaun speaking people may have at one time been represented by the Serpent much like the Wakeni clan or the Manahoac/Mahock town of Whonkentia?

The Serpent was representative of the Occaneechi and the Catawba.

Scott P. Collins
WE ARE THE ONES WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR

Evil Is An Outer Manifestation Of An Inner Struggle

“Men and women become accomplices to those evils they fail to oppose.”

"The greater the denial the greater the awakening."