2012 Siouan Conference venue.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Jul 29 21:23:02 UTC 2011

Dear friends and colleagues,

The Anthropology Department at the University of Kansas is hosting a field linguistics Summer workshop here in Lawrence next June.  We have an opportunity to “piggyback” next year’s Siouan and Caddoan Linguistics Conference (SCLC) on this workshop.  We would likely be able to get one media-enhanced room that held up to 40-50 people from e.g. 9-5 on June 15-17, the Friday, Saturday, and half of Sunday preceding the “Co-Lang workshop”.  Inexpensive “student housing” may also be available.  This arrangement would enable the workshop participants to see some of the results of “real” field investigation and language maintenance/revival efforts.  Siouanists would also be able to interact with workshop participants.  This seems to me to be a good opportunity, especially since none of our number at this year’s conference volunteered to host the meeting next year.

I will need to let Arienne Dwyer at KU know within the next couple of weeks if we wish to pursue this possibility.  Please let me know what you think.  You can reply to the list or, if you wish, you can write me off-list at rankin at ku dot edu.