Justin's fellowship, etc.

Cumberland, Linda A lcumberl at indiana.edu
Fri Mar 25 13:18:29 UTC 2011

Anthony,

I can answer that: The content of the Kanza Reader is available for
free at http://www.kawnation.com/WebKanza/LangPages/langworks.html. The
book and CD are available for $24.99, plus $4.95 shipping in the US.
Actually, it only contains 20 of the 31 known Kanza texts (all 31 texts
are available at the web site named above: scroll down the page to
where it says "Cultural Context" the second time and find "Combined
Kanza Texts (2009)."

The Kanza Reader is designed to teach literacy and basic grammar. After
having spent the past several years developing language materials that
focus on speaking, Justin and I decided to go at the language from
another direction for those Kaw people who want to know about their
language, but don't necessarily want to learn to speak it. We wanted to
create a tool that would make people comfortable with the appearance of
their language in written form, and gain some basic insights into the
language's structure so that they could start to recognize words and
phrases in the narratives of their own ancestors.

I'd be happy to mail copies to anyone who is interested. Checks should
be made out to Kaw Nation. Only 500 copies were printed and there are
still about 400 left.

Linda