JOD orthographic oddity

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue May 3 19:15:44 UTC 2011

Everybody is partly right.  I suspect the symbol is probably a tilde, given that he also wrote it with an Osage subscript tilde in the identical entry in Kansa as per Linda's observation.  But the subscript tilde signifies *lowering* rather than fronting.  As Catherine points out, he uses a regular Umlaut for fronting.  It has to be lowering because the reflexes of Proto-Siouan *o never front.  In Dhegiha they always raise to "u" in Dorsey's transcription.  He used the "u" symbol in Quapaw, Osage and Kaw also even though it is generally [o] in those languages except next to velars, where you do hear [u].  The Osage symbol he's using (assuming it's a sub-posed tilde) would signal an open or lowered "u", as in 'pull' or 'put'.  If you wanted to "normalize" it, you could use whatever symbol you're using for the phoneme that represents the o~u sound (local reflexes of *o).  I use /o/ in KS, OS and QU.  John Koontz sticks to /u/ in OM and PO.  [u] and [o] do not contrast in any Dhegiha language; both come from *o.

The umlauted u" only develops in Kaw and Osage from Proto-Siouan *u (never *o).  This development also took place in Omaha, Ponca and Quapaw, but the front rounded vowel unrounded to [i] everywhere in all three languages (and sporadically in Kaw and Osage).

Best,