Ablaut et al

jhobartkyle at GMAIL.COM jhobartkyle at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 5 01:12:20 UTC 2011

Sorry to jump in late on this, but I think Bob is correct in that Dakota is
the 'odd man out' here in that Dakota phonology can be analyzed as having
epenthesis on some roots. Boas & Deloria were the first (as far as I know)
to analyze Dakota as having CVC and (CV)CV roots. It turns out that the CVC
roots will surface with an epenthetic vowel but stress falls on the first
syllable while bi-syllabic CVCV roots take the stress on the second
syllable (as do most Dakota words). The two root types also differ in how
they reduplicate: CVC roots reduplicate the entire CVC and then epenthesize
a final vowel while CVCV roots reduplicate the final syllable.

[sa'pa] "black" comes from /sap/ and reduplicates as [sap-sap-a]

[waSte'] "good" comes from /waSte/ and reduplicates as [waSte-Ste]

The 'generative' view on this is that stress and reduplication rules apply
before epenthesis.

This pattern holds up very well for stress and reduplication.
Unfortunately, ablaut is not so predictable. Some of the epenthetic vowels
DO ablaut but not all of them and some of the non-epenthetic vowels DO
ablaut but not all of them.

The fact that the other Siouan languages do not have these CVC type roots
shows that Dakota has done a bit of reanalysis on their underlying forms.

John Kyle