Ablaut et al.

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Sep 17 00:28:17 UTC 2011

Let's see if we can tighten this discussion back up again.

I think we accept that there existed CVCv active verb roots in
proto-Siouan, where the lower case v represents an unaccented vowel.  We
seem to be finding that all, or almost all, CVCv active verb roots were
specifically CVCe.  Some of the daughter languages have secondarily
derived forms in which the v is some other vowel than -e, as in Omaha
ttą́ąðį, 'run'.  But in proto-Siouan, active verb roots of the form CVCv
were in general distinguishable from each other by the initial CVC
sequence only, and not by the final unaccented vowel.

We have tossed out several possible hypotheses to explain this pattern:

1) The unaccented final vowel was a separate phoneme that was an integral
part of the root.  The fact that it was always or almost always -e is
insignificant, because some vowel had to predominate.

2) The unaccented final vowel was the schwa'ed out reduction of any of the
eight possible vowels due to a process that affected active verb roots of
CVCv type.  In this model, a prior position of phonemic distinctiveness
merged together.  CVCa, CVCe, CVCi, CVCo, CVCu, CVCaN, CVCiN and CVCuN all
collapsed into something that we reconstruct as CVCe.

3) The CVCe active verb roots were all underlyingly CVC, but received an
epenthetic -e either as a requirement for the release of a final consonant
or to fill out syllable structure.

4) The final -e is a separate morpheme, like Spanish -r used to mark the
infinitives of verbs.  In this case, the root itself of these CVC-e verbs
is composed of CVC without the -e.

I am open to hypotheses 2, 3 and 4, but I find hypothesis 1 to be
unexplanatory.  My understanding is that Bob favors hypothesis 1 and
rejects hypotheses 3 and 4.

Bob, is this a fair statement of what we agree on concerning this
question, and where we differ?

Rory