Lakota=>Siouan polyandry inquiry

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Sep 22 14:13:53 UTC 2011

Aloha All,
My Anthropology Department Chair Ray Hames brought me a copy of James
Walker's LAKOTA SOCIETY with an inquiry.

He and a student are preparing a journal article describing polyandry (a
woman having more than one husband).

They are finding accounts of this practice in groups outside of the
regularly cited groups known to use this strategy.

In the Walker case, there is no reference or citation as to the source of
his statement regarding polyandry among the Lakota.

I have included the paragraph that mentions polyandry from page 55 of
Walker's book for your reference.

Ray Hames also inquired as to the meaning of the second husband being
considered "buried"

Does anyone know of this practice among the Lakota or other Siouan groups?

I am not aware of it among the Omaha.

I would presume that if such a practice existed there would be a term for
that names this arrangement, the second husband, terms of relations, etc.

Thanks
Mark

Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology & Ethnic Studies
Native American Studies Program Liaison
University of Nebraska
Department of Anthropology
841 Oldfather Hall