Lakota=>Siouan polyandry inquiry

George Wilmes george.wilmes at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 22 22:37:25 UTC 2011

Mark, here is an entry from Buechel's Lakota dictionary (as
transcribed into the Colorado Siouan Archive; sorry about the
formatting):

1 WIC'>U'N*KES*NI
2 ONE WHO KNOWS NOTHING OR DOES NOT CARE TO DO ANYTHING, IS INCOMPETENT TO KEEP
   HOUSE. NOTE: THE WORD IS APPLIED ONLY TO WOMEN.
3 N.
4 +LILA TA'NYA'N LOLIYAH'>''A'N S*NI YELO; - CA LOLIH'>''A'N S''E
5 AS THEY WOULD SAY OF A WOMAN WHOSE COOKING WAS VERY POOR, INTIMATING THAT FOR
   THIS REASON SHE HAD MANY HUSBANDS.

And this from Kaschube's Crow texts:

1 -- I*SAHKE* LU'*:B'6M HAWA*S'^C'^+IS'^I:N KUSC'^+ISSA*L'6HGUK
2 --/ OLD MEN,/ TWO/ BACK AND FORTH,/ SHE GOES./
8 PAGE51 LINE1 BOTTOM WORD1 +THE +CROW +INDIAN NAME AND THE TRANSLATION HAVE
  BEEN DELETED AS THE NARRATIVE IS OF A PERSONAL REFERENCE TO A WOMAN WITH TWO
  HUSBANDS.
11 PAGE51 LINE1 BOTTOM

And this from Lowie's Crow word list:

1 DU*':P, DU*':P'6, DU*':PARE, DU*':PAR'6K,
  DU*':PKA':CE, DU*':PET, DU*':PTUM
2 TWO
3 ADJ.
4 BI*':'6CT TSIRA*':RUPDE':T'HBICI'*':ND'6K'H
5 WOMEN'8 THERE IS NONE WHO HAS NOT TWO HUSBANDS
11 +P. 89

Hope that helps!

George