Lakota=>Siouan polyandry inquiry

Mary C Marino mary.marino at USASK.CA
Sat Sep 24 03:21:14 UTC 2011

Walker doesn't say anything about the 'buried man' being the woman's
brother-in-law.  He says that this arrangement could only happen with
the husband's consent, seldom given, which argues against any sort of
customary right.  What Walker describes in this passage doesn't sound
like marriage at all: he does not say anything about coresidence,
economic obligations between the 'buried man' and the couple, or any of
the other concommitants of marriage, except for parentage of children of
the relationship, which was assigned to the original pair.   I suspect
that Walker was of the view that the only socially-approved sex
relations a woman could have were marital: polyandry would exist if a
woman could have such relations with more than one man at a time.  Put
simply:  if a woman has sex with a man, he's her husband, otherwise
she's an adultress.

Mary