Lakota=>Siouan polyandry inquiry

REGINA PUSTET pustetrm at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 22 17:13:07 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,

Off the top of my head, I don't remember any data on
polyandry among the Lakota, neither from the literature nor from my own fieldwork,
but this oldie but goodie would be worth checking on in this respect:

Hassrick, Royal B. 1964.
The Sioux: Life and customs of a warrior society
University of Oklahoma Press

Best,
Regina

________________________________
From: Mark J Awakuni-Swetland <mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu>
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:13 AM
Subject: Lakota=>Siouan polyandry inquiry

Aloha All,
My Anthropology Department Chair Ray
Hames brought me a copy of James Walker's LAKOTA SOCIETY with an inquiry.

He and a student are preparing a journal
article describing polyandry (a woman having more than one husband).

They are finding accounts of this practice
in groups outside of the regularly cited groups known to use this strategy.

In the Walker case, there is no reference
or citation as to the source of his statement regarding polyandry among
the Lakota.

I have included the paragraph that mentions
polyandry from page 55 of Walker's book for your reference.

Ray Hames also inquired as to the meaning
of the second husband being considered "buried"

Does anyone know of this practice among
the Lakota or other Siouan groups?

I am not aware of it among the Omaha.

I would presume that if such a practice
existed there would be a term for that names this arrangement, the second
husband, terms of relations, etc.

Thanks
Mark

Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology & Ethnic Studies
Native American Studies Program Liaison
University of Nebraska
Department of Anthropology
841 Oldfather Hall