NAME

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Sun Aug 12 21:22:34 UTC 2012

Well, if it's Dorsey's transcription he wouldn't have gotten the vowels wrong.  I don't recognize the name, but I was wondering of the -coco ending was maybe -shoN-shoN?  I don't know if this expression exists in Jiwere or not though, although it is found in all the Dhegiha dialects.

Bob

________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of Jimm G. GoodTracks [jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:28 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: NAME

I believe, Bob, this may be Dorsey's transcription.  Weather it is a K ~ Ch ~ Sh sound - the duplication would be unusual.  I would anticipated for "standing" = jida, nayin, dahe.  Possibly, the sound is a "j" and it would be more logical if instead of a "co" it was a "jeje."  There is a verb:  rujijire (walk to and from).  Perhaps it is meant to be: jije.  Then, it would have more of the context of Arrive Standing with Something, which is not specific to a society staff.  What do you think?