NAME

Greer, Jill Greer-J at MSSU.EDU
Mon Aug 13 19:48:40 UTC 2012

Hi!
Congrats again to Jimm.  Needless to say,  I can't wait to hear and see the newly available Jiwere stuff!!!

Mark -  very interesting Omaha version.  Good to remember that much of the meaning may be something that was inferred from the original creation of the name, and that was rendered in the English gloss, rather than having a word-for-word kind of name.

Bob  and all the other historical folks-  Remember that there's no phonemic nasal O in Jiwere,  so how do those Dhegiha phonemes Mark was pointing out translate into IOM?  Would it be an oral O, or a nasal U?
And now,  to muddy things up more,  let me add that there are a lot of times where there is a vowel phonetically closer to a nasal schwa to my ear,  but those are usually an underlying An.  But Hamilton and Irvin did occasionally write a nasal O, if I'm remembering things correctly.

Someone better at phonology and historical reconstructions want to jump in here?

Jill
Dr. Jill D. Greer
Associate Professor
Social Science Department
MSSU
3950 E. Newman Road
Joplin, MO  64801
417.625.9795
Greer-j at mssu.edu

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Awakuni-Swetland
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 9:42 AM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: NAME

Aloha All,
Here are a few ramblings to offer.

Following on Bob's suggestion that co-co => shoN-shoN.

Consider the Omaha male command 'shoN shoN ga!' that tells someone to continue whatever s/he is/was doing...

Applying the same vowel sound and nasal quality to the preceding syllable makes -to- => ttoN (or) tHoN.
To possess as a charecteristic as buffalo have horns.
or
The standing animate as in uheatHoN => in, linear inanimate, at/on, stand 'bridge, ladder, stairs'
or some other interpretation...?

And the wa- as 'class of' or 'them' or any of its various interpretations...?

Perhaps wa-to-co-co would be rendered in Omaha as wa-tHoN-shoN-shoN suggesting ...the class of things that continue to stand... but taking into account the animate tHoN, it could be refering to the person standing with the staff (first option), or the staff itself if considered animate in the manner that the Omaha Sacred Pole is considered animate (second option).

Taking a clue from Jimm's most recent note, he suggested the name may not be specific to a society staff.

An alternate consideration could be that perhaps it is specific to any/all society staffs but not personal staffs or staffs used to lead the buffalo hunt (Omaha), or a referent to a particular society in this group, but the name does not identify it since it has no contextual information.

Perhaps similar to a 19th century Omaha person mentioning the name 'wasabe' in conversation. The discussion had been about the recent meeting of the Bear Doctoring Society, so the term 'wasabe' (the class of black things, i.e. black bear) is a referent specifically of a society and not the animal.

Mark Awakuni-Swetland