NAME

Greer, Jill Greer-J at MSSU.EDU
Tue Aug 14 17:08:58 UTC 2012

Thanks!   For those of you still teaching (or attending) classes this fall,  best wishes on the first hectic, exciting week,  and remember,  those pesky young freshman are somebody's babies :).  (My eldest son starts U of Arkansas this year.)

If anyone is seriously interested in commenting on my grammar sketch in progress,  let me know, and I'll send you a copy.  A few corrections and additions have been made to the version that's on Jimm's site now,  but I want to get it in near final form before we change it out again, and it's always nice to have someone else's eye (not to mention brain) take a look.

Best wishes,
Jill

From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Rankin, Robert L.
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:45 AM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: NAME

> Bob  and all the other historical folks-  Remember that there's no phonemic nasal O in Jiwere,  so how do those Dhegiha phonemes Mark was pointing out translate into IOM?  Would it be an oral O, or a nasal U?

The nasal rounded vowel is sometimes pronounced [oN] and sometimes [uN] in Dakota.  But there's never any contrast between the two.  Omaha merged aN and uN, so even that distinction isn't made in OM.  In their practical orthography they write the merged nasal vowel as "oN", and it's pronounced like  nasal open O, sort of like the vowel in "haunt".
> And now,  to muddy things up more,  let me add that there are a lot of times where there is a vowel phonetically closer to a nasal schwa to my ear,  but those are usually an underlying An.  But Hamilton and Irvin did occasionally write a nasal O, if I'm remembering things correctly.

I think probably all Siouan languages have a nasal schwa.  As far as I know it is always just a variant of nasal short /aN/.  The corresponding long vowel should be [a] with nasality.

This email may contain identifiable personal information that is subject to protection under state and federal law. This information is intended for the use of the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by electronic mail (reply).