sketch

Furbee, Louanna (Emeritus) FurbeeL at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Aug 20 15:36:15 UTC 2012

Hi Jill - I got the sketch and will give it a reading (read first part and mostly just had copyediting suggestions - e.g. parallelism in the headings, etc.).  I'm not sure I remember enough Chiwere at this point to be very useful as an informed reviewer, so consider any of my comments more the outsider perspective.  Keep cool.  Pax, Louanna

N. Louanna Furbee
Professor Emerita of Anthropology
University of Missouri
________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of Rankin, Robert L. [rankin at KU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:17 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: sketch

Hi Jill,

Thanks for sending that along.

> It truly is a draft still.  The thing that will be clear from the get go is that I’m trying make it for the native community,  not for the professionals.  So it may be a little annoying to have my attempts to teach a few terms,  and there may be better ways to explain things than I have done so far.  And my hope of having an annotated text with the digital file to accompany it frame by frame hasn’t been realized yet,  so the appendix is empty.  The papers I gave at WhiteCloud and Lincoln are the texts referenced there.

You might want to look at Allan Taylor and David Rood's sketch of Lakota in the Handbook, although for the modern reader it would probably have to be diluted a bit more.  Teaching college students beginning Linguistics I about gave up on their knowing any traditional language terminology, even for English.  It's a different world out there from what it was when I grew up in south Georgia back in the 50s.

> Also,  I have not put in the consonant clusters (it will be a tedious chore) in the phonology section.  Is that really necessary for this kind of document?  And representing the irregular verb paradigms is another chore not finished.  But,  I think I’m stuck without some feedback.

I do thinka good inventory of the irregular verbs is important for any relatively complete account of a Siouan language.  There are some very strange conjugations, especially for learners.

> I don’t know there are too many ideas to steal,  other than dropping the standard IJAL outline that I really hate.  I just could not keep doing the 1.1.a stuff :).

I hate that outlining system too.

I'll look forward to reading the grammar.

Best,