Origin Words Re: Tutelo-Saponi Words

Scott Collins saponi360 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 12 08:49:44 UTC 2012

I also wanted to ask about the words universe, cosmos and cosmology. Can these words be translated with the available data on Tutelo-Saponi?

Scott P. Collins
WE ARE THE ONES WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR

Evil Is An Outer Manifestation Of An Inner Struggle

“Men and women become accomplices to those evils they fail to oppose.”

"The greater the denial the greater the awakening."

--- On Sun, 2/12/12, Scott Collins <saponi360 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

From: Scott Collins <saponi360 at YAHOO.COM>
Subject: Origin Words Re: Tutelo-Saponi Words
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Date: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 2:45 AM

I keep thinking that I had sent an email out asking about the word or words for orgin or begining in Tutelo-Saponi. If I did I cannot seem to find it at the moment.

manifest = qekego
"Qekego, manifest. (Dors.: Qekego-, Qekago-.) Accent on first syllable. In Qekego hiye, to place, put; see Hiye, to make. Cf. Aqekon, to be so. Alt. sp.: Xekako [O]." ---Page 49 of "Yesanechi (Tutelo) Etymological Lexicon" by William Meuse (2010)[sources Dorsey]

To me manifest is a synonym for begins or orgin or begining.

"Come = Ho, Hala, Ile." (pg.68, Meuse)

"Awake = Kikla" (pg. 66, Meuse)

The words came or come could be derived from arrive = hi:, li
wi- = I, me and my
hi: = arrive there

In Yesanechi Meuse is saying li = if ;as a "verbal prefix"

>From Oliverio pg. 194 under hi: arrive there;  hi = come, wihiok = I came, lihiok = comes (i.e action of arriving at present?)

pg. 201 of Oliverio; "hu: = come here (motion under way)

wi-hi = I arrive there and wi-hu = I went there or I came there or I come there?