SCLC submission

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Feb 13 19:10:18 UTC 2012

Aloha David,
For your consideration.
Mark Awakuni-Swetland

Siouan and Caddoan Languages Conference – June 15-17, 2012 – UK-Lawrence

Creeping crawling critters: When we lose the bugs we lose the language

Mark Awakuni-Swetland
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Anthropology/Ethnic Studies
Native American Studies

Abstract: This paper inventories Omaha and Ponca terms for insects, worms,
and spiders. Primary sources include the 19th century Dorsey O/P slip file
now in the Omaha and Ponca Digital Database (OPDD), Dorsey’s various
publications, and Fletcher and La Flesche’s The Omaha Tribe. Results of a
survey designed for this paper provides contemporary data. Wherever
possible the binomial Genus/species is included along with an image of the
invertebrate. The diminished number of terms for invertebrates - in
particular - is proposed as one straightforward way to measure the extent
of language loss as a whole.