Offer to publish conference proceedings

Catherine Rudin CaRudin1 at WSC.EDU
Thu Feb 16 19:33:54 UTC 2012

It would be great to have a conference volume published, but as David says, perhaps CSP isn't the best place.  On the other hand major publishers won't be interested in a volume that will not exactly be a big seller.  Conference proceedings are often published more or less in house -- FASL volumes are put out by U. Michigan Slavic dept., CLS volumes by (surprise!) U. of Chicago, etc.  Hmmm.... doesn't KU have a linguistics working papers series? :-)

If anyone does feel up to organizing a proceedings volume (wherever published) it should definitely be "selected" proceedings -- preferably with a little editing/formatting and maybe even a little reviewing or some kind of submission process.  I'd be willing to help, if it gets to that point.

Some SCLC papers did get published (twice, I think?) when we met with MALC and got included in their volume. Those remain, alas, just about my only actual publications on OP, and I much appreciate having being forced to write them up then instead of waiting for that pie-in-the-sky time when I'll know enough to submit a real journal article.

My 2 cents --
Catherine

>>> David Kaufman <dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM> 2/16/2012 10:20 AM >>>
Hi Mary,

Given Anthony's comment on the reputation of these publishers, it seems not the best place for publication. I'm not familiar with the usual process for publishing conference proceedings, but I think if we were to publish the proceedings as a whole, we would want to finalize papers for publication after the conference, whoever wanted to have theirs published. That way it wouldn't affect works-in-progress or other presentations for the conference that, for some reason, would not be publishable. As far as acceptance of submissions, since presenters don't even necessarily have to submit an abstract (just a title), I don't think we're very picky about what is actually presented at the conference as long as it is somehow relevant to Siouan and Caddoan languages. I'll send a message a bit later with the titles of presentations/papers we've received so far and on which languages, just so we'll all have a general idea.

Dave