a Lakota translation request

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at UNLNOTES.UNL.EDU
Thu Jan 12 19:15:46 UTC 2012

Aloha all,
I am forwarding a recent request for a Lakota translation for your
consideration.

"....The Center for Great Plains Studies is working on a new exhibition to
coincide with the 1862 Symposium, and I've encountered an excellent
painted muslin depicting the Conquering Bear incident. There are some
Lakota words at the top, and the Nebraska State Museum doesn't have them
translated yet. Can anyone assist? The text at the top reads: Conquering
Bear Mato Wayonhi Lena wi coran Tan wan ajelo (maybe ayelo?) ..."

The image that was attached was poorly positioned to see the letters
face-on.
However I suspect the curator's rendering is fairly close.
Because some LIST members may have servers that do not allow attachments I
have cropped the relevant part of the image and tried enhancing contrast
and brightness.

I am thinking the final word is 'yelo' with the cursive beginning of the y
appearing to the curator as an ay...

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology & Ethnic Studies
Native American Studies Program Liaison
University of Nebraska
Department of Anthropology
841 Oldfather Hall