a Lakota translation request

Jan Ullrich jfu at LAKHOTA.ORG
Thu Jan 12 20:49:33 UTC 2012

I cannot see every letter clearly enough on the image, but it seems that the
curators transcription is pretty close, especially because it makes sense
grammatically and probably also contextually. Here is what I can make of it:

Conquering Bear Mato Wayuhi lena wichohan tawa yelo.

If this rendition is correct then the Lakota text says the following:

"These are the (war) deeds of Conquering Bear."

The Lakota versions the chief's name was recorded (among other places) in
Buechel's dictionary under the entry wayuhi. Mato Wayuhi or "Conquering
Bear",  was  a Brule Lakota chief who signed the Fort Laramie Treaty (1851).
He was killed in 1854 when troops from Fort Laramie entered his encampment
to arrest a Sioux who had shot a calf belonging to the Mormons.

The standard phonemic transcription of the sentence is in the attached PDF
file.

Jan

Jan Ullrich, Linguistic Director

Lakota Language Consortium