PREFIX "WA-" CONJUGATIONS

Bryan James Gordon linguist at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Jul 2 22:13:44 UTC 2012

Ahó hiⁿtáro, rigrá^thu ke Sage hédaⁿ, daríhgawi je?

There are a couple of ways to try to describe this system in ordinary
English, one of them as an infix (which requires you to explain what an
infix is), the other one as conjugating a verb that consists of two parts.
The second way seems to be more in line with the academic linguistic
explanation, which has wa- as a special prefix that sometimes affects the
meaning of the root in special ways. (For instance in wachi it is unclear
what the meanings of "wa" and "chi" are, although we can try to figure out
how the word was formed historically.)

An ordinary English explanation might look something like this:

   - Verbs like "wachi" are made up of more than one piece, and instead of
   putting the pronouns at the beginning, we put them before the second piece.
   - The I-form is irregular in verbs which have this "wa" piece. Instead
   of adding ha-, we add wa-.
   - Sometimes you can add this same "wa" piece to a verb to change its
   meaning from "doing an action to a particular thing or person" to "doing an
   action in general". For instance, ruje is to eat something in particular,
   while warúje is to eat food in general. These wa- verbs are conjugated the
   same way as verbs like wachi.

I'm open for comments and criticisms of that explanation. Finding ordinary
English explanations is becoming more and more central in my work, and I'm
always looking for better ways to do it. Hope it helps! Dagúre^shuⁿ
húⁿsrage rigráguⁿna ke, pí ramáñiwi iháre.

Bryan

2012/7/2 Jimm GoodTracks <jgoodtracks at gmail.com>

> **
> A question comes from the Otoe-Missouria Language Dept. in regard to the
> unique conjugation of "w-" prefixed verbs, such as, "wachí" (dance)[L/Dak],
> wawáchi, I dance/ wayáchi, you dance; "wasí" (IOM).  Also noted in (L/D)
> "maní" (walk), mayáni, you walk.  We are all aware of this phenomenon in
> Siouan Languages, but I do not recall anyone discussing it.
>
> In the New Lakhota Dictionary:
> "wa-"  1. indefinite object marker.  Usage: can be translated with
> 'people, things' and often gives the verb a more general or abstract
> meaning"  p.541
> NLD also speaks to a "large group of Lakota verbs isactive verbs.  They
> describe actions, espcially those governed or controlled by the actor.
> They are the opposite of stative verbs....  that one has no controll over
> them.  ...  Active verbs are thus all  those verbs that do not take the
> affixes ma- and ni- for I and you respectively." p.709
>
> Can we have some explaination in easily understandable English that I may
> share with the local language communities??   jimm

Bryan James Gordon, MA
Joint PhD Program in Linguistics and Anthropology
University of Arizona