Tutelo-Saponi/Yesanechi Word For Sweat

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Sat Jul 21 23:18:05 UTC 2012

> amixkhte(di) would break down, as far as I've analyzed it, as amihi (amix-) 'heat' + k(i)the(di) 'hit', thus 'heat hit' (the /e/ of the should have a circumflex over it, which indicates its pronunciation like Gatschet a-umlaut).  k(i), I believe, should be the dative prefix, the 'hit', and -di a type of assertive or emphatic suffix.  Gatschet and Dorsey seemed to have written words down as their consultants said them, but it is apparent that, in Biloxi, there was a lot of vowel devoicing or epenthesis going on between consonants, which is why these "strange" Siouan clusters in Biloxi seem to arise.

Here's the comparative entry for 'sweat'.

GLOSS[ sweat †rį

Proto Mississippi Valley[ *-wrį

Proto-Ddkotan[ *-mnį́

LA[ the_mní ‘sweat, pant’ B-487

DA[ themní ‘sweat, pant’ R-466b

ProtoDHegiha[ *oRábrį

OP[ †onáabðį “unábthiⁿ” ‘sweat’ SW-167

OS[ †otaabri “udabthi” ‘sweat’ LF-167a

COMments[ Cf. DA iní thí ‘sweat lodge’. Several Dakotan forms with {-ni-}

suggest this stem is bimorphemic, probably {*wa-rį́} originally. It seems

likely that this form arose in MVS though, since if it were PSI it should be

treated exactly like ‘water,’ with which it would have been homophonous.

Note that nasalization is complete only in Dakotan.  Biloxi hamixktädi (G-41) does not apparently fit this pattern.

So Biloxi seems different, and I can't guess at a Tutelo word.