National Library of France photos

Greer, Jill Greer-J at MSSU.EDU
Thu Jun 21 23:12:36 UTC 2012

It may not be relevant,  but there is an albino population of bears in an area of Western Canada (possibly an island),  which has been identified in the eco-rights movement as the "spirit bear" as a "Native" label,  and its habitat is supposed to be in the pathway of a proposed pipeline by TransCanada (another one, yes) to the Pacific Coast there.  I've forgotten which groups (Defenders of Wildlife, Sierra Club, National Wildlife Defense Fund, etc.) send the info out to me,  but I found the albinism very interesting,  considering the significance of White Buffalo, etc.  for Lakota, and other groups.

Also,  the Bear Claw necklace is found with other Siouan (and possibly other) groups - including members of clans other than Bear Clan.  Possibly they had an heirloom status beyond the original purpose,  just as the medallions from treaties seem to have been passed down in families.  Sometimes doctor societies might have had a bear association,  as well as the well-known buffalo doctors.  Someone else might speak to that - Mark?

By the way,  the papers, the company, and the Lawrence experience were all great.  Thanks to David Kaufman, Kathy Shea, and Bob Rankin for all their efforts.  The hard work is much appreciated!

Jill

Dr. Jill D. Greer
Associate Professor
Social Science Department
MSSU
3950 E. Newman Road
Joplin, MO  64801
417.625.9795
Greer-j at mssu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Cumberland, Linda A
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:59 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: National Library of France photos

Justin McBride wrote a detailed label to the photo that pins it down:
"Portrait (Front) of MinchuZhinga (Young Grizzly Bear) or (Little Bear) in Native Dress with Bear Claw Necklace, Headdress and Ornaments and Holding Sword 1869. by Shindler, Antonio(n) Zeno. NAA INV 06622000 OPPS NEG 04250".  I wonder if "OPPS" is something like "opposite", as in opposite direction -- which could explain the revers effect I described before. I notice, too, that Justin's label makes note of minchu
(miNcho) meaning grizzly bear, as opposed to the black bear, wasabe. I have also seen this photo labeled "Little White Bear", which reminds me of a thread on this list a while back that discussed "white bear" as meaning "grizzly bear". -Linda

Quoting "Rankin, Robert L." <rankin at KU.EDU>:

> Thanks for the info.  Oddly, he doesn't look a bit like the MiNcho
> ZhiNga portrait by Catlin.  I thought it must be good old Washunga.
>
> Bob
>
> #2 on p4 is, indeed, "Little Bear" - MiNcho ZhiNga. I have this
> hanging in my office, but reversed and cropped to a head and shoulder
> shot. I always assumed that there was a link between his name and the
> fact that he's wearing a bear claw necklace. In my copy, he's gazing
> the other way,and he seems to hold the sword in his right hand, not
> his left. The copy in this collection is undoubtedly the correct perspective.
> - Linda
>
> Quoting "Rankin, Robert L." <rankin at KU.EDU>:
>
>> Thanks for bringing these to our attention.  A very nice collection.
>>
>> A couple of observations:  Number 14 on p. 1, the man labeled "Little
>> Bird" (Dakota) is also sometimes identified as the Kaw Indian named
>> "Pi Sing" in photos.  One of them is displayed in Kaw Tribal
>> Headquarters.
>>
>> Number 2 on p. 4 is also Kaw and is identified as such, but I'm not
>> sure the name is correct.  He certainly looks like Washunga to me.
>> Linda can correct me on this.
>>
>> Bob

This email may contain identifiable personal information that is subject to protection under state and federal law. This information is intended for the use of the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by electronic mail (reply).