endangeredlanguages.com launched (fwd)

ROOD DAVID S david.rood at COLORADO.EDU
Sun Jun 24 03:31:52 UTC 2012

Dear Siouanists,
 	Some of you may be interested in this European development.  Paul
Trilsbeek works for the DoBeS project at the Max Planck Institute in
Nijmegen, the Netherlands and is the primary correspondent for the various
issues concerning ELAN.  The "Sebastian" whom he mentions is another
participant at Max Planck, Sebastian Drude, who has done some very
interesting documentation work with a Brazilian language.
 	Best,
 	David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado
295 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0295
USA
rood at colorado.edu

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:22:09 +0200
From: Paul Trilsbeek <Paul.Trilsbeek at mpi.nl>
To: "dobeslist at mpi.nl" <dobeslist at mpi.nl>
Subject: endangeredlanguages.com launched

Dear DOBES colleagues,

This morning the site endangeredlanguages.com was launched, which is the result of the Endangered Languages Project, the collaboration between Linguist List, University of Hawaii and Google.org that I wrote to you about in October last year. Some of you have contributed some samples to the site, if others still wish to do so after seeing the site this would still be possible.

The idea is that the project and the website will at some point (some months after launch) be governed by what they call the Alliance for Linguistic Diversity. Some of you are in this already, also we as The Language Archive (TLA) have chosen to be part of that in order to have a say in how the project and the site develop in the future and to see whether we can play a role in the preservation of material that is contributed to the site. If you are interested in being part of that alliance as well, you can apply for that on the site.

Sebastian and myself are also members of the Alliance Advisory Committee, for the same reasons as above.

I think the site has turned out quite nicely but of course there's always room for improvement. I suggest that you have a look at the site yourself and make any comments, suggestions, complaints, etc. known either via the site itself or through us. We will have (virtual) meetings with the advisory committee on a regular basis and can bring your points to the attention of the people implementing the site.

Earlier this week we learned that - contrary to what was said before - it is possible that advertisements appear within uploaded videos on the site if the person who uploaded the video chooses to activate the advertisements in order to possibly earn some money from them. This is because YouTube is the tool that is used for video uploading and playback in the site and YouTube offers this feature. Hopefully not too many people will choose to enable this, although perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if speech communities could use this as a way to generate some income from their contributions to the site.

Some more information you can find in Google's blog post and of course on the site itself:

http://googleblog.blogspot.nl/2012/06/endangered-languages-project-supporting.html

http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/

Best regards,

Paul