Updated list of presentation topics for SCLC 2012

Saul Schwartz sschwart at PRINCETON.EDU
Thu Mar 8 20:34:04 UTC 2012

Hi David,
Do you think people would be interested in a presentation on the history of
Chiwere documentation? I would hope to raise issues relevant to Siouan
linguistics, but it would not necessarily develop a linguistic topic in the
sense of advancing our understanding of Chiwere structural features. At
this point, I'm thinking about something on the orthography and
distribution of missionary texts in Chiwere from the 1830s-1850s and its
relation to the history of frontier printing. I may also compare the early
missionary materials to those of later BAE and Boasian ethnologists and
ethnographers like Dorsey, Marsh, and Whitman. If you do think it would be
of interest, you can go ahead and put me on the list. But please don't be
afraid to say something if you don't think it would fit---I won't be
offended.
Best,
Saul