Updated list of topics and abstracts

David Kaufman dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 24 18:12:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Here is the latest update on presentation topics, along with the three
abstracts that have so far been received:

Presentations:
  Awakuni-Swetland, Mark Omaha Creeping crawling critters: When we lose the
bugs we lose the language  Boyle, John Mandan, Hocąk Internally and
Externally Headed Relative Clauses in Mandan and Hocąk  DeMallie, Ray
Lakota Lakota
Personal Names  Graczyk, Randolph Crow State of the Crow language  Hartmann,
Iren Siouan  Bundling Siouan Dictionary resources  Helmbrecht, Johannes
Hocąk spatial relations  Kaufman, David Biloxi Positional Auxiliaries in
Biloxi  Marino, Mary Stoney  Vegreville mss  Park, Indrek Hidatsa Sound
Symbolism in Hidatsa  Parks, Doug Pawnee Pawnee Personal Names  Rankin,
Robert Siouan Grammaticalization of *?uN 'be' and *u 'be pl' in Siouan
languages  Richardson, Marty Tutelo Songs  Rood, David Wichita
(Caddoan) ?  Rudin,
Catherine Omaha-Ponca Reduplication  Schwarz, Saul Chiwere History of
Chiwere Documentation  Wilmes, George Siouan Past Applications of
Optimality Theory to Siouan Language Data and Phenomena: A Review of the
Literature

Abstracts:

Mark Awakuni-Swetland: *Creeping crawling critters: When we lose the bugs
we lose the language*

This paper inventories Omaha and Ponca terms for insects, worms, and
spiders. Primary sources include the 19th century Dorsey O/P slip file now
in the Omaha and Ponca Digital Database (OPDD), Dorsey’s various
publications, and Fletcher and La Flesche’s *The Omaha Tribe*. Results of a
survey designed for this paper provides contemporary data. Wherever
possible the binomial Genus/species is included along with an image of the
invertebrate. The diminished number of terms for invertebrates - in
particular - is proposed as one straightforward way to measure the extent
of language loss as a whole.

Indrek Park: *Sound Symbolism in Hidatsa*

Sound symbolism in Siouan languages is an oft-mentioned yet curiously quite
inadequately described phenomenon. According to the "received" view, Siouan
sound-symbolism involves mostly fricatives/affricates; however, in Hidatsa
stops also form sound-symbolic series. All the Hidatsa data is derived from
my own fieldwork.

David Kaufman: *Positional Auxiliaries in Biloxi*

This paper explores the use of the set of positional auxiliary verbs sit,
stand, lie, and move in Biloxi.  It offers a detailed analysis of these
positionals and compares their use with other Siouan and some non-Siouan
languages.  While positional stance verbs also double as positional
auxiliaries in many languages of the world, in Biloxi positional
auxiliaries are grammaticized variants of what were once physical stance
verbs, evidenced by the fact that the positional auxiliaries no longer take
pronominal marking and sometimes occur side-by-side with their physical
stance counterparts.  This is a typologically interesting situation in
which positional auxiliary verbs form a discrete series distinct from
positional stance verbs.  The proper use of positional verbs is a complex
aspect of the grammar of Biloxi and other Siouan languages.  While the
choice of positional verbs is often logically motivated based on an
object’s salient axial extension or shape, this analysis demonstrates that,
particularly in more abstract cases, the proper choice of positional
auxiliary is not at all obvious and discrepancies in choice of positional
even among closely related languages, and even in the same language, are
highlighted.

As usual, if anything has changed, or if I missed anyone or anything,
please let me know.  (Note that my own presentation topic has changed.)  : )
Although our deadline for topics and abstracts is *officially* April 1
(according to the CoLang web site), we will still accept paper topics and
abstracts (optional) even after this date, probably through May.

Regards,
--
David Kaufman, Ph.C.
University of Kansas