Biloxi Words and Tutelo-Saponi

David Kaufman dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 13 15:54:58 UTC 2012

Scott,

The data that I have are that Biloxi sokuno is cypress, Taxodium distichum,
while sokudi nithaani is another large species of Taxodium found in
Louisiana, which may be the same differentiation that you made.  Bi. sokuno
is likely borrowed from Choctaw or Mobilian Trade shąkolo, as, like Anthony
said, cuwahana is from Choctaw or Mobilian Trade cuwahla (Bi. didn't have
/l/, so this was usually replaced by /n/ in borrowings).  The sokudi
variant may be a hybrid of Muskogean and Biloxi, since -udi means something
like 'root' in Bi., thus combining sokuno + udi.  Nithaani means 'big' in
Biloxi.

Hope this helps somewhat, although neither of these tree terms appears to
be originally Siouan, but rather Muskogean borrowings, which stands to
reason since the Biloxis were migrants to the Gulf coast and from a region
that likely didn't have cypress trees.

Dave

--
David Kaufman, Ph.C.