National Library of France photos

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Thu May 17 15:09:38 UTC 2012

Thanks for the info.  Oddly, he doesn't look a bit like the MiNcho ZhiNga portrait by Catlin.  I thought it must be good old Washunga.

Bob

#2 on p4 is, indeed, "Little Bear" - MiNcho ZhiNga. I have this hanging
in my office, but reversed and cropped to a head and shoulder shot. I
always assumed that there was a link between his name and the fact that
he's wearing a bear claw necklace. In my copy, he's gazing the other
way,and he seems to hold the sword in his right hand, not his left. The
copy in this collection is undoubtedly the correct perspective.
- Linda