Fw: [Lexicog] Re: [asialex] Re: [afrilex] Re: Re: [euralex] Re: [DSNA] RE: End of print dictionaries at Macmillan

Jimm GoodTracks jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 8 12:19:38 UTC 2012

Printed or On-Line Dictionaries.  I still prefer Print, although I use occassionally On-Line.

----- Original Message -----
From: David Joffe
To: ettiew at gmail.com ; volker at nalik.org ; gillesmaurice.deschryver at UGent.be ; mmasibidisetaka at yahoo.com
Cc: <Lexicophile at aol.com> ; <euralex at freelists.org> ; <DSNA at yahoogroups.com> ; <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com> ; <asialex at freelists.org> ; <afrilex at freelists.org> ; <lexicografie at googlegroups.com> ; <ishll at lists.le.ac.uk>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:57 AM
Subject: [Lexicog] Re: [asialex] Re: [afrilex] Re: Re: [euralex] Re: [DSNA] RE: End of print dictionaries at Macmillan

On 7 Nov 2012 at 5:10, mmasibidisetaka at yahoo.com wrote:

> This is a very interesting debate I must say, however the first thing
> that we need to establish is a dictionary culture which I believe is
> not strong enough (especially in South Africa)before we could
> celebrate the end of print dictionaries and the beginning of a new era
> of online dictionaries. Secondly we need to consider the dynamics of
> the widening gap between those who have and those who don't, because a
> very small percentage of people have access to computers.

Hmm, a little perspective here perhaps: Smartphones *are* computers,
and the *cheapest* smartphone is a FAR more powerful computer than
the computer I first learned to program on. I recently took an
R80/month contract here (approx $10/month), and for that I have a
portable computer/cellphone in hand that compares as follows to the
computer I learned to program on:

- 832MHz process vs 2 MHz processor
- Size:portable vs Size: Large heavy desktop
- Screen: 240x320 256K colors vs screen: 320x200 16 colors
- Internet vs: No Internet
- Advanced HTML5 Web browser with built-in JavaScript programming
language, vs: No Web browser
- 3GB storage vs: 20MB storage
- Built-in camera vs: No built-in camera

Yes, the poorest can't afford R80/month, but surely even someone of
relatively modest income could afford that? Also, we're only at the
start of the smartphone trend, they are still dramatically falling
in price and becoming more commonplace/popular (the main impediment
is probably the mess that is the patent system), so I must admit I
don't think the depiction of the majority lacking access is entirely
fair, at least regarding South Africa, Internet coverage via the
mobile networks reaches over 90% of the population already, and with
several new African under-ocean fiber cable projects and massive
investments in terrestrial bandwidth infrastructure prices are still
falling ... imagine what it will be like in just another 10 years.
(Regarding the gap between haves and have-nots, global income
inequality has also actually been improving more or less
consistently for about five decades now, even though it might not
always feel like it and is 'contrary to popular belief'.)

That said, I hope paper dictionaries never go away entirely. I find
myself approaching this question from the perspective of a new
parent, asking myself 'would I prefer my child[ren] growing up in a
household with paper dictionaries around', and the answer is an
absolute 'yes' ... I remember also as a child enjoying just browsing
through dictionaries just for interest, and while you could possibly
replicate this to some extent in software, I'm not sure you can ever
do so entirely. But, this may also be partially nostalgia, and
today's generation grow up in an environment of 'continual
technological distraction' so they might not find
dictionary-browsing as interesting.

Also, myself, I rarely consult paper dictionaries nowadays, and if
so, it's usually for dictionaries that I don't have in
online/electronic format.

- David

Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group
 Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest . Unsubscribe . Terms of Use . Send us Feedback .