Russian song in Lakhota?

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at YAHOO.CO.UK
Sat Sep 15 14:12:42 UTC 2012

It definitely has recognizable Lakota words in it, names of animals and seasons etc, though I haven't checked it any further to see how grammatical it is.  Maybe others could check the accuracy.
Bruce

--- On Sat, 15/9/12, Catherine Rudin <carudin1 at WSC.EDU> wrote:

From: Catherine Rudin <carudin1 at WSC.EDU>
Subject: Russian song in Lakhota?
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Date: Saturday, 15 September, 2012, 4:37

I hope this doesn't fall in the category of nuisance mail.

A Russian friend just forwarded me a link (see below) to a YouTube video that purports to be a translation of the Russian carol "A christmas tree was born in the forest" into "Syu Lakota".   He's curious to know whether the language is in fact Lakhota, and if so, whether it's a good translation.  Anyone out there got any answers?  It sounds like plausible Lakhota to me, but I can't judge at all how good.

This seems to be one of those Eastern European fascinated-by-Indians groups; apparently part of something called "Shou Dikij Zapad, i.e. Wild West Show.  My favorite of the comments is "indejtsy ruljat"  -- Indians rule.

Anyhow, if anyone has any comments, Dmitry and I will be interested.

Catherine

>>> Dmitry Pobedash 09/14/12 7:05 PM >>>

Hi,

Here is the link to what they claim is a translation of the Russian "V lesu rodilas' yolochka" song into Sioux:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1veqN01CeOY

Have a nice weekend,

Dmitry Pobedash