CORRECTION on Osage "me-gra-sha".

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Fri Aug 23 21:39:58 UTC 2013

A further note on the Osage <me-gra-sha>.  I assumed this represents an attempt to render mį gráša using English spelling conventions.  Mi, as noted, is 'one', as in the Kansa (Kaw) personal name Mi-dayinga 'furious one' (referring to a wounded raccoon, i.e., in this case, a member of the raccoon clan).

The rest, written gra-sha, doesn't represent [graša] but [greše], in acccordance with aforementioned English rules of spelling/pronunciation.  N.B. that this matches the attested Kaw term exactly.  I had neglected to consult my own Kaw dictionary where "Englishman" is given as [migreše] (obtained from 19th cent. materials).

Sorry for the mixup.

Also, the Kaw personal name, Mi-dayinga 'furious one', although it supposedly refers to someone of the Raccoon clan, doesn't contain any overt reference to 'raccoon'.  Raccoon is mikka in Kaw, but the mi at the beginning is coincidental and the mi of mi-dayinga is the mi of mixci 'one'.