The joke's on you, Bob.

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Sat Aug 24 17:10:23 UTC 2013

Just a footnote to the Saganash saga.  A year or so ago I had an appointment in Topeka and drove in through the north (seedy) side of town.  I passed a place called the Sasnak Tavern and thought maybe the name was based on the Indian name for ‘British’ that we have just recently been discussing here (even though it was missing a bunch of phonemes).

I managed to convince myself of this amazing discovery to the point that I even thought about stopping off for a beer to ask about the history of the bar’s name.  Then, driving away and feeling very proud of my intellectual prowess in recognizing such an obscure historical fact, I happened to glance in the rear view mirror and saw the mirror image of the name.

Oh shit.