Words for Loss, Lose and Lost

Scott Collins saponi360 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 26 02:15:35 UTC 2013

Thank you Dave, I didn't see that one in the Biloxi dictionary. I must have missed it.

Scott P. Collins
WE ARE THE ONES WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR

Evil Is An Outer Manifestation Of An Inner Struggle

“Men and women become accomplices to those evils they fail to oppose.”

"The greater the denial the greater the awakening."

--- On Sat, 2/23/13, David Kaufman <dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

From: David Kaufman <dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: Words for Loss, Lose and Lost
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Date: Saturday, February 23, 2013, 11:21 AM

The Biloxi word for 'lose' is ka-paha-ni-ye: ka- and -ni are the circumfix for negation; paha means something like 'sight' or 'appearance'; -ye is the causative = something like 'cause to not be in sight' or 'cause to be invisible.'

Dave

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Scott Collins <saponi360 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello, I was trying to find the word or words for loss, lose and lost in Tutelo-Saponi.
What would comparative words be in other Dhegiha languages and what would be the literal translation of those words? I'm hoping to be able to extrapolate the word for loss or lost through comparison unless there is a word that is used for loss in Tutelo-Saponi.

I was thinking perhaps "iha:o ki-hiye-nE".
Literally, "no balance".
lE= go, no= yaha or iha:o, and way = hatkox (path)
lE:yaha:hatkox or lE:yahatkox-se
Could these words figure into gone away (lost, lose)...

--
David Kaufman, Ph.C.
University of Kansas