2 Chiwere questions

Saul Schwartz sschwart at PRINCETON.EDU
Sun Jul 28 18:22:08 UTC 2013

Thanks for weighing in, Bob! Regarding accounting for the <K> in the last
syllable of WE-WV-HÆ-KJU: šų in Chiwere is often preceded by a glottal
stop. I don't know any of the technical phonetic terms for this, but if I
tense my throat to make a glottal stop and then try to say šų without first
relaxing those muscles, then I hear a distinct /k/ sound before the šų. If
this explanation for the <K> is correct then it also fits with the general
approach the missionaries took to writing Chiwere, which just to write what
they heard as best they could. In that context, Hamilton and Irvin's
decision in their later publications to stop using <v> for schwa since it
sounds so close to /a/ is strikes me as a rare and (subconscious)
proto-phonemic moment in the history of Chiwere missionary linguistics.