Conjugation Of A Sentence in Tutelo-Saponi

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at YAHOO.CO.UK
Sun Jun 2 12:44:42 UTC 2013

Siouan articles are fantastic.  I once wrote an article about articles (no pun intended), which some of you may not have seen as it came out in a british periodical
Ingham, B. (2003) ‘The function of the post-nominal element ki~k’un in Lakota’ inTransactions of the Philological Society vol 101 iii p.371-410. ISSN 0079 1636.
It doesn't add much to what we already know, but I suggested that the 'articles' had something of the nature of a topicalizer.

Anyway have a great time at the Siouanists and I hope to see you all again one day. Actually I will be in the Mila Hanska Makhoche my self while the conference is on, but over in Connecticut.  Best wishes to all.

Bruce

________________________________
 From: "Rankin, Robert L." <rankin at KU.EDU>
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Sent: Sunday, 2 June 2013, 0:17
Subject: Re: Conjugation Of A Sentence in Tutelo-Saponi

Aloha nā Siouanists,

> I had a guess on this sentence if it was UmoNhoN, which I checked with my NoNha.  In Omaha, the article would occur, but it would be functioning as a subordinator:

> MoNhiNskithe bthoN   tHe  xtaathe.
> Grass.sweet    it.smells the  I.like
ʻI like the smell of sweetgrassʻ  (Or awkwardly but more literally, ʻthat sweet grass smells, I like it.ʻ)

> Probably Tutelo articles donʻt function anywhere near like Omahaʻs beautiful, powerful articles, but I am wondering if there might not be a subordinator needed there, too.  The sentence feels awkward to me without.

Interesting, Ardis.  I bet Tutelo does work the same way.  That seems to be a standard Siouan pattern.  But I'll defer to my syntactician colleagues.

Does Omaha use MoNhiNskithe for real sweetgrass?  Sounds like a loan-translation from English.  The Dakotan term has a cognate in Dhegiha, but it's the word for 'onion'.  I was wondering if NE Nebraska has sweetgrass and, if so, what the Omahas and Poncas call
 it.

Best,