Tutelo verb 'go'

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Fri Jun 14 22:44:52 UTC 2013

That sounds very peculiar to me.  I suspect that what you're seeing is the disjunctive (i.e., independent) pronominal for the 1st person rather than the patient.  You may already have my active/stative comparative paper, but just in case, I'll attach a copy.  The last section is an addition on OVS that attempts to explain the pronominals.  Bottom line:  I don't think Tutelo uses stative subjects with "go".

Bob
________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of David Kaufman [dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 4:13 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Tutelo verb 'go'

Hi all,

It seems Tutelo's verb 'go' takes a patientive/object rather than active/subject pronoun prefix, wi- instead of wa-.  Does any other Siouan language do this?  (I can't compare with Biloxi since it lost this agent/patient distinction in pronouns.)  I'm particularly interested in this because two Lower Mississippi Valley languages, Atakapa and Chitimacha, also seem to take patientive/object instead of active/subject pronouns with the verb 'go.'  At first I thought this was strange and counterintuitive, but now I'm seeing it may be a more common phenomenon well beyond the Mississippi Valley.  Any thoughts?

Dave

--
David Kaufman, Ph.C.
University of Kansas