Tutelo verb 'go'

Marianne Mithun mithun at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Fri Jun 14 23:07:16 UTC 2013

Actually this is exactly why it is important to distinguish active/stative
patterns from agent/patient patterns. Active/stative patterns are driven by
Aktionsart, that is, the difference between events and states.
Agent/patient systems are driven by the role of the referent, as
instigating, volitional, in control, etc. Both occur, sometimes within the
same language, but agent/patient systems are much more common
cross-linguistically.

The two often yield similar patterns. Events are often instigated by agents
and states often impact patients. A verb like 'jump' denotes an event and
would usually appear with an agent in agent/patient systems, and an active
participant in active/stative systems; a verb like 'be sick' denotes a
state and would usually appear with a patient in agent/patient systems, and
a stative participant in active/stative systems. But it is exactly in
situations like the ones we're discussing that the distinction is
important. From there of course cross-linguistic details become
interesting: whether instigation or control is criterial when they do not
coincide, what is classified as volitional, what is classified as a state,
etc.

(In Iroquoian languages, 'go' is grammatically stative, but occurs with
agent pronominals, not surprisingly.)

Marianne.

--On Friday, June 14, 2013 10:44 PM +0000 "Rankin, Robert L."