Tutelo verb 'go'

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Sat Jun 15 02:25:36 UTC 2013

Hi Louanna,

Something didn't make it through here.  Please try again.

Bob
________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of Furbee, Louanna (Emeritus) [FurbeeL at MISSOURI.EDU]
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 9:14 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: Tutelo verb 'go'

N. Louanna Furbee
Professor Emerita of Anthropology
University of Missouri
________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of David Kaufman [dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 7:39 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu

Bob,

The independent/disjunctive first person pronoun in Tutelo is wi:ma (Oliverio p. 148); wi- is the stative/dative/patient first person pronoun (Oliverio p. 71); wa- is the first person actor pronoun (Oliverio p. 64).  The sentences Oliverio (p. 63) gives are as follows: wi-le:-ta i-athi: = 1sgP-go-POT DIR-house 'I am going to the house'; wi-hi:-ok hiyaNka = 1sgP-arrive--past2 sleep 'I came, he was asleep.'  Note that both 'go' and 'come/arrive' use the first person patient/stative prefix.  There is an interesting quote by Oliverio: "...it seems that some reinterpretation of the active/stative system took place, probably as a result of the limited use of the language and semi-fluency of most speakers at the time of collection, and from the probable use of Tutelo as a trade language.  Thus for instance some verbs of motion, denoting events performed, effected, and instigated, and typically controlled, by the speaker, take stative pronominal prefixes, not the expected active morphology" (p. 62).

So, at least according to Oliverio and her consultants, her 'patient' or 'stative' prefixes are used for 'go, come.'

As I said, a similar phenomenon seems to occur in Atakapa with 'go', and Danny Hieber, who works on Chitimacha, has discovered the same phenomenon with Chitimacha 'go.'

So it looks like this deserves further study, not only in Tutelo, but in other languages (e.g., Atakapa, Chitimacha) that seem to share a similar phenomenon.  Perhaps Marianne is right; maybe the terminology is the problem - I'm not sure.

Dave