"Saponi" word list.

Marianne Mithun mithun at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Sun Jun 16 17:47:17 UTC 2013

Hi Bob,

A quick look doesn't show much. There are no labials (m or p) in Northern
Iroquoian, though nasalized vowels sometimes give that impression.

The only possibles mentioned by Alexander are 'two' and 'six'. 'Six' might
be possible. The Northern Iroquoian terms appear to be based on the verb
'cross over', what one does when counting on one's fingers, crossing over
to the other hand.  'Two' is a bit more of a long shot: hearing 'tock' for
'tekni'?  I'll paste in those Iroquoian numbers here (using apostrophe for
glottal stop) and attach a pdf.

Marianne

Iroquoian words for 'two' and 'six'

'two'	(Alexander Tock)

Mohawk			tékeni
Oneida			tekni
Onondaga			tékni
Cayuga			tekhni:
Seneca			tekhni:
Susquehannock		tiggene
Laurentian			tigneny
Huron			téni
Wyandot			tendi
Tuscarora			né:kti:
Nottoway			dekanee
Cherokee			tha:li

(Laurentian, the language encountered by Jacques Cartier, is from a French
manuscript source from around 1534, Andaste = Susquehannock from a Swedish
scribe 1696, Huron mainly 17th century French, Nottoway from 19th century.
Wyandot from Barbeau early 20th century. Cherokee from Durbin Feeling)

'six'	(Alexander Quiock)

Mohawk			yà:ya'k
Oneida			yá:ya'k
Onondaga			áhya'k
Cayuga			hye:i'
Seneca			ye:i'
Susquehannock		jajáck
Laurentian 		aiaga  'seven'
Huron			houhahéa
Tuscarora			úhya'k
Nottoway			oyag
Cherokee			sudali

--On Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:12 PM +0000 "Rankin, Robert L."