Tutelo verb 'go'

ROOD DAVID S david.rood at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Jun 17 16:44:53 UTC 2013

Wow... sounds a little like the Hindi (and neighbors) shift from
accusative to ergative in perfect tenses.

 	Have you ever thought of any tests for "stativity" in Siouan
besides the pronoun choices?  Lakota stative verbs use a different pattern
for reduplication than do active verbs, and there are separate rules for
k-palatalization for statives (nikhuz^e without palatalization, e.g.).  I
don't have those facts clear in my head, however.  Anything else?

 	I appreciate Bob's description of the evolution of these patterns
in OVS, blaming most of it on phonology, and I always prefer a
phonological explanation to a semantic one.  But the fact that motion
verbs take patient pronouns here and there, as mentioned in some of the
other contributions to this thread, makes one wonder if there's more to it
than phonology.

 	Best,
 	David

David S. Rood