Tutelo verb 'go'

David Kaufman dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 17 18:44:51 UTC 2013

The one sentence in your data, Bob, 'hodke tok ire chunkete posse', would
seem to indicate a pidginized language, since most pidgins, I think, adopt
Subject-Verb-Object (SVO) order (with the major exception of Mobilian
Jargon, which maintained a verb-final order).

Great paper!

Dave

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM, ROOD DAVID S <david.rood at colorado.edu>wrote:

> [...]
>
>         Have you ever thought of any tests for "stativity" in Siouan
> besides the pronoun choices?  Lakota stative verbs use a different pattern
> for reduplication than do active verbs, and there are separate rules for
> k-palatalization for statives (nikhuz^e without palatalization, e.g.).  I
> don't have those facts clear in my head, however.  Anything else?
>
>         I appreciate Bob's description of the evolution of these patterns
> in OVS, blaming most of it on phonology, and I always prefer a phonological
> explanation to a semantic one.  But the fact that motion verbs take patient
> pronouns here and there, as mentioned in some of the other contributions to
> this thread, makes one wonder if there's more to it than phonology.
>
>         Best,
>         David
>

> David S. Rood
> Dept. of Linguistics
> Univ. of Colorado
> 295 UCB
> Boulder, CO 80309-0295
> USA
> rood at colorado.edu
>
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2013, Marianne Mithun wrote:
>
>  Ah, it's in the aspect suffixes, loud and clear. In Northern Iroquoian
>> (which is all of Iroquoian except Cherokee), all verbs (except imperatives)
>> are obligatorily inflected for aspect: Habitual, Perfective, or Stative. So
>> for that, we just look at the marking on the end.
>>
>> Stative verbs include things that everyone would immediately agree are
>> states: 'be rich', 'be new' . . .  Here the choice of pronominal paradigm
>> is interesting. For resultant states ('wet'), usually patient prefixes are
>> used. For inherent states, usually agent forms.
>>
>> For transitive verbs, the statives are perfect, a kind of resultant
>> state: 'I have eaten'. These have stative endings and patient pronominal
>> prefixes. (I'm just sitting here full now.)
>>
>> An interesting wrinkle is that some formally stative verbs are things
>> that we might think, from their translations, as say progressive:
>> 'singing'. These are often activities without a tangible product. The verb
>> 'go' could be interpreted as 'be in motion' perhaps, as one grasps at
>> straws for an explanation.
>>
>> (Habituals and Perfectives usually occur with agents, but some occur with
>> patients, such as 'to lose something', 'to yell', etc.) The agent or
>> patient paradigm gets established with a particular verb stem, and will
>> stick even if the stem meanders semantically.
>>
>> Iroquoian is thus a little more interesting, because there is a basically
>> agent/patient system with an active/stative overlay (stative perfects
>> obligatorily occurring with patients).
>>
>> Marianne
>>

>> --On Saturday, June 15, 2013 6:39 PM -0600 ROOD DAVID S <
>> david.rood at COLORADO.EDU> wrote:
>>
>>  Marianne, thanks for that little essay.  What are the "stative"
>>> properties of Iroquoian 'go'?  I'm used to relying on the pronoun choice
>>> to classify the verbs; how do you separate them?

>>> Univ. of Colorado

--
David Kaufman, Ph.C.
University of Kansas