Tutelo verb 'go'

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Mon Jun 17 23:44:10 UTC 2013

> The SVO in some Tutelo sentences surprises me - were the data not elicited via Cayuga?  (Could Horatio H speak an Iroquoian language?)

Hale was an American lawyer who married a Canadian and moved to Canada.  I'm pretty sure he didn't speak any languages with the possible exception of European tongues.  J.N.B. Hewitt, on the other hand, WAS Iroquoian as far as I know and his Tutelo notes could have been elicited via Cayuga.  I'd have to check and see who elicited the SVO examples.  It should be in Oliverio's dissertation.

I'm hearing about next year's Siouan Conference location as Madison, Wisconsin.  That would be a terrific place to meet.  Maybe this year's participants will tell us more.