Words for Loss, Lose and Lost

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Tue Mar 26 19:12:00 UTC 2013

The vast majority of verb prefixes with the vowel /e/ appear to be contractions of /a/ + /i/ and are long vowels.  I can't think of any in Kaw or Quapaw that weren't /wee/ < wa- + locative ii-.  Kke- is a new one on me.  Keep us posted.

Bob

> I have not run into that prefix at all. I have noticed that sometimes that prefix sounds lowered, towards /e/, when I hear it spoken, but I just take that as part of the normal vowel space variation for the /i/ vowel, which seems to be lowered more often than not in unstressed positions.

Have you ever run into the kke- affix in Dorsey?  We just discovered it about a year ago.  There was an example or two in the Dorsey dictionary, and the speakers recognized it easily.  Basically, it works just like the kki-, reflexive, affix, but it implies that it happened to you rather than that you did it to yourself, and maybe what happened to you wasn’t desirable.  So if you say:

                uxpathe-akkithe

I think it would mean “I lost myself (intentionally)”, but if you say:

                uxpathe-akkethe

it would mean “I got lost (it happened to me)”.

I’m wondering how widespread this affix is in Siouan?  It seems to be pretty rare in the written material even in Omaha.

Also, on the original question of ‘lose’/’lost’, there might be more than one way to take it:

1.       losing a thing              (That would be “uxpare-re” in Omaha.)

2.       losing a person          (That might be “mugroⁿ are” in Omaha.  I.e., the person took off and disappeared on you, “went mugroⁿ”.)

3.       losing your way         (I’m not really sure what that is in Omaha.  I’ll have to ask.)

Anyway, glad to hear you dropped back into Arizona.  One of your last messages had left me a little worried about your fate in Panama!

Rory