What Bloomfield said.

David Costa pankihtamwa at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon May 13 19:46:09 UTC 2013

Hockett in the intro to Bloomfield's Menominee grammar, page vii:

"Bloomfield was speaking of the tremendous difficulty of obtaining a really adequate of any language, and suggested, half humorously, that linguists dedicated to this task should not get married, nor teach: instead they should take a vow of celibacy, spend as long a summer as feasible each year in the field, and spend the winter collating and filing the material. With this degree of intensiveness, Bloomfield suggested, a linguist could perhaps produce good accounts of three languages in his lifetime".

I should point out that Bloomfield didn't do this much, either.

Dave