Elan

ROOD DAVID S david.rood at COLORADO.EDU
Fri May 17 22:17:22 UTC 2013

Jill, Elan is indeed the video (and audio) documentation program that was
written for the DoBeS projects tha Iren and I worked on.  It is constantly
being updated with new features, and I'm not swift enough to make use of
many of them.  It is very easy to use once you are familiar with it, but
as you said, starting a new software program is never easy.  I don't find
their user manuals very helpful, but the people on the development team in
Nijmegen are very quick and thorough with the answers to questions (at
least for me; I assume that holds for people they don't know, too).  Iren
is good with it, and I know either she or I would be happy to answer
questions if we can.
 	One very important thing before you get started very far: plan
carefully what you want your tier structure to look like, because it's
hard (for me) to change afterwards.  Read the manual pages about this four
or five times, then go away for a few days and read it again.  There are
several different ways to "link" tiers into groups so they can be moved
and added and deleted together.

 	Once you get done, however, the search and print functions are
wonderful.

 	Best,
]	David

David S. Rood