Conjugation Of A Sentence in Tutelo-Saponi

David Kaufman dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 25 16:50:14 UTC 2013

Scott,

I don't have my Tutelo material in front of me, but my gut reaction is that
your sentence would not be natural to a Siouan-speaker; it appears to be a
literal translation of the English.  Rather, I think the more natural
Siouan way, which hopefully some other Siouanists here could chime in on,
would be more like chiko:yo oto: pi mi-yato-ste:kE lit. 'sweetgrass-scent
I-love'.  Not having the Tutelo dictionary with me, I'm not sure about
qekego 'of' (I'm not aware of Siouan having a postposition for 'of') nor am
I sure about the definite article prefix i-.  (In Biloxi and some other
Siouan languages like Lakota and Dhegiha the definite article is after the
noun, either suffixed as in Biloxi -yaN or separate as in Lakota kin.)

Is chiko:yo 'sweet'?  (I'm assuming it probably is since it's Biloxi
ckuye.)  If oto is 'grass' then it seems to me it would be oto: chiko:yo 'sw
eetgrass', since sweet is the adjective modifying 'grass.'  That would then
give: oto: chiko:yo pi mi-yato-ste:kE lit. 'grass-sweet scent I love.'

I hope this makes sense, and maybe other Siouanists can either verify or
correct my analyses....

Dave

--
David Kaufman, Ph.C.