Conjugation Of A Sentence in Tutelo-Saponi

David Kaufman dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 26 23:53:02 UTC 2013

Having finally found my Tutelo material, I can now make a few points, I
think:

I am not sure what the mi- prefix is in your sentence, Scott.  It looks
like the Tutelo first person singular pronouns are wa- and wiN- (N
representing nasality), the latter being the 'dative' form that seems to be
used with possession of body parts (Oliverio p. 135).  The more I think
about your sentence, the more I think using the causative -hiye might be
appropriate (Oliverio p. 119), so that the verb part of your sentence would
look more like this: wiN-yaNtoste:ke-hiye < wiN- = 1st pers sg pronoun
dative; -yaNti = heart; -ste:ke = good; -hiye = causative, thus coming out
as literally 'It causes my heart (to be) good.'  This would be like Biloxi
aNk-yaNdi-phi-ye < aNk- = 1st pers singular pronoun (subject or
possessive); -yaNdi = heart; -phi = good (vs. pi = liver); -ye =
causative.  Biloxi lost the active-patient split of other Siouan languages,
so aNk- is the only pronoun for 'I' now used, which is actually cognate
with Tutelo waNk-/waN- 1st person plural.

Okay, that i- prefix does not show up in Oliverio as a definite article
'the' (Oliverio p. 202).  It does, however, show up as an *indefinite* (=
English a, an) article suffix -i.  According to Oliverio (p. 202) the
Tutelo *definite* articles are -ki(N) or -se.  The former agrees with
Lakota -kiN and the latter I believe is more of an emphatic definite
article agreeing with Biloxi -yaN and -di on nouns.  (So, Tutelo
yaNti-ki(N) 'the heart' vs. yaNti-i 'a heart' (?); not sure if that last
would combine into a long vowel -i: or would remain separate).

Hope this helps.

Dave

--
David Kaufman, Ph.C.